Born in Tehran, Iran 1970, Ali spent most of her childhood in Panchgani, India. Ali and her mother moved to Los Angeles, California in 1985, after which Ali discovered the santour. Ali then studied the santour under Persian master Manoocher Sadeghi, which led to the rediscovery of her voice. She is now living in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
In 1996, Ali formed “alternative world” group VAS with percussionist Greg Ellis after meeting the year prior at a concert at UCLA. She and her husband, Loga Ramin Torkian, are also part of another group, Niyaz, an Iranian acoustic electronic group. In 2005, Azam Ali was featured in Enter The Chicken, a Buckethead album, singing the song Coma along side Serj Tankian.
In 2002, Ali released her first solo album, Portals of Grace.This was followed up with 2006’s Elysium for the Brave, which reached #10 on Billboard‘s World Albums chart on 23 September 2006.Ali’s most recent release, 2011’s From Night to the Edge of Day, is a collection of lullabies inspired by her son.
- Beni Beni (justsimplyinlove.wordpress.com)
- Mohammad Amir Accuses Salman Butt, Agent Of Entrapment (kayceeweezy.wordpress.com)
- Ali Brown quoted on secretentourage.com (lcoonline.wordpress.com)
- Hameed Nizami: A legend (nation.com.pk)
- University plays with students future (nation.com.pk)
- Mario Lopez and Ali Landry: The truth behind a marriage that was over faster than even Kim Kardashian’s! (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Jinnah (r.a) the Saint – Fascinating Spiritual Dimension of Quaid-e-azam’s Life (itehaad.wordpress.com)